Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm still in the challenge!

The food challenge is going well. Of course I could be doing better....by giving up my agave. I've been told there is a natural sweetener at a natural food store in Savannah, so I'm going to check it out. Other than that, I've done pretty well. I've surprised myself actually because I thought for sure I'd be grabbing the boxes of cereal in the mornings, but I've not even been tempted! I did have a hot chocolate the other night and honestly had already drank half of it before I realized what I was doing! To my defense, it was dark, cold and misting rain and we were on a haunted hearse tour in downtown Savannah! All I heard the driver say was "hot" when he pulled up to a restaurant and asked if we needed anything to drink. :)

Oh, and I did forget about my vanilla latte *hanging head in shame* two days ago. I guess I'll have to either give up my coffee all together or start carrying my sweetener around with me. Or, I guess there is the option of drinking it without sweetener!

I'm not really sure though about going out to eat and choices to make. We went to lunch the other day and I got an awesome salad but was stumped about the dressing. I ended up with oil and vinegar, but I'm not sure if that passes my real food challenge or not!


So far in the challenge we've been asked to clear our pantry of processed stuff, go buy wholesome, one-ingredient choices to restock our pantry (we got extra credit because we already drink raw milk!), improve our grains choices (which I've yet to really read on) and today's was begin your starter for sourdough. I'm very excited about today's challenge, yet when I went to Wal-Mart (ugh) to buy my mason jars, cheesecloth, twine, and whole grain flour, I walked out with not one item on my list. They didn't even have mason jars! Seriously? We're in the south...don't people still can things?

We're headed out of town for my husband's CrossFit competition this weekend. It's in a smaller town north of Atlanta. Check out this site for more information. http://garagegames2010.crossfitgarage.com/

It seems like it's going to be a great time! And hopefully I'll be able to sneak in a trip to Ikea, some children's consignment sales and maybe even Whole Foods! We're staying in a lake house so it'll be much easier to eat clean since we can prepare our own meals!

Hopefully this weekend will be a nice little test for me and I am really crossing my fingers I can make it through without a fast food meal!


1 comment:

  1. Kroger and Publix both carry canning jars.

    If you get a chance, check out Trader Joe's in Atlanta, too!

    ReplyDelete